Sunday, June 1, 2014

In Which Decisions as Well as Introductions Are Made Part 2

Squig watched  as the train pull to a halt, the passenger car door opened and finally the conductor stepped out and lowered the stairs.  It only took a few minutes and then a small bundle of fluffy white fur, dressed in a red and white polka dot sundress exploded onto the platform.  With her  paws waiving, and her legs churning, she was a study in perpetual motion.

"Uncle Squig-a-wig, Uncle Squig-a-wig, I have missed you so much," she exclaimed as threw herself into his waiting arms. 

"I've missed you too Annie Banannie," he purred holding her close to his heart.  "Let me take a good look at you," he continued, holding her at arm's length. "I believe in the three months I've been here, you've grown. You sure you're my Annie Banannie and not some grown up who's hidden her somewhere?"

"It's me," she laughed hopping down. "Is it true that you're a real Sheriff?  Do you have a gun and a horse?  Have you gone after any bad guys and varmints?  Do you have a posse?  Do you live at the saloon?"  She asked excitedly all in one breath.

"If you have a horse, can I ride him.  Dad and Grandmom said that you're not going to be living with us anymore.  Can I live with you at the Saloon?  Are the dance hall girls nice?  Should Miss Trixie be jealous.  Can I learn to shoot a gun.  Will you teach me how to shoot a gun and ride a horse."

Squig laughed heartily, barely able to catch up with her nonstop chatter and nodding his head in the negative, said, "Sorry sweet pea the answer to all of your questions is no."

She stood back and cocking her head to one side like a small, serious fluffy white owl, said, "Well can I wear your hat?  Can I be a junior deputy and wear a star? When can I see your new house  Is there a room for me in it?"

"Yes, yes, soon and yes," Squig chuckled. He was about to tell her all about his new apartment and ask her about her trip west, when he was interrupted by someone standing behind him, loudly harrumphing and clearing his throat.

He swiveled around to find Harlan standing impatiently, with his right paw extended and a thoroughly fake smile pasted on his face.

"Oh yes," Squig remarked with a certain degree of nervous trepidation, "Annie I'd like you to meet my deputy, Harlan T. Katz.  Harlan this is my niece, the one and only Annie Felinerino." 

TO BE CONTINUED

No comments:

Post a Comment